To facilitate greater business agility, provide better services to internal users and expedite time to delivery, Thiess engaged Intelligent Pathways to enable SOA-based systems integration and automate business process capabilities.
Thiess is a construction, mining and services contractor with diverse operations and services, including mining, civil, building, rail, services and tunnelling, throughout Australia and selected international markets.
Thiess wanted to enhance their centralised Oracle ERP based IT environment to facilitate greater business agility, provide better services to internal users and expedite time to delivery. Thiess engaged Intelligent Pathways to enable SOA-based systems integration and automate business process capabilities. Intelligent Pathways has subsequently worked with Thiess on a number of successful integration projects.
To reduce costs and improve efficiency, Thiess wanted to replace their e-Procurement system. Intelligent Pathways took a phased approach to the problem. First we replaced their existing procurement system with an application specifically designed for document processing. This gave the immediate benefit of moving Thiess to a standard platform thereby reducing costs from software licensing and hardware maintenance as well giving them total visibility over the flow of their documents.
We then used a SOA based approach to integrate their JD Edwards (JDE) ERP system with the eProcurement marketplace in real time. This allowed Thiess to drive users to ordering from preferred suppliers who have the best pricing.
Automated Invoice & Supplier Processing Solution
A core component of Thiess’ Accounts Payable function is to receive and manage the step-by-step processing of multiple document types (images), such as invoices and supplier setup requests. Thiess utilise an IPM (image processing management) solution to automate various parts of the process. Intelligent Pathways was engaged by Thiess to provide advice and guidance for upgrading their existing IPM and to define the solution architecture. The key elements of the project included:
- Liaising with Thiess ICT, Oracle and other concerned external parties to analyse technology options for the new IPM solution
- Assisting Thiess ICT to derive a proof-of-concept for a shortlisted solution option
- Definition of a high-level solution architecture
- Development of the required SOA components
Maximo ERP & Concept CRM Systems Integration
Thiess was working on a construction and infrastructure services project with a partner company. In order to provide better services to their joint client, automation and systems integration of their CRM systems was required. Intelligent Pathways provided the following services for this project:
- End-to-end systems integration services that spanned across analysis, design, build, test and deployment phases of the project
- Consulting and development services using Oracle Fusion Middleware SOA platform
- Consulting services in deployment and rollout of the integration solution
SOA Platform Upgrade
The Thiess SOA platform was refreshed with a new set of hardware and software. The refresh enabled Thiess to enhance their SOA platform capabilities across a larger set of systems and applications. Intelligent Pathways provided end-to-end systems integration services that spanned across analysis, design, build, test and deployment phases of the project. Key project highlights included:
- Definition of Solution & Technical Architecture for the new Thiess SOA platform utilising Oracle SOA Suite 11g
- Migration of existing SOA applications from Oracle SOA Suite 10g to Oracle SOA Suite 11g platform
- Definition of management and technical level of governance for Thiess SOA platform and applications
SOA Security Architecture Definition
Usage of the SOA Middleware system had expanded across internal & external Thiess systems. Thiess required a standardised and robust security architecture to be implemented to avoid any risks associated with SOA security vulnerabilities. The requirements of the SOA Security Architecture that Intelligent Pathways delivered on included the following:
- Enabling end-to-end secure web services communication between Thiess SOA web services and internal and external consumers of the web services
- Utilising Oracle Web Services Manager (OWSM) to secure the web services
- Enabling the Thiess SOA team to build secure SOA applications as required
SOA-based integration has streamlined Thiess’ IT environment and given them the flexibility to integrate with many different systems, including that of external partners. Moreover, it allows their IT team to deliver on business requirements more rapidly thereby improving services for internal users.
SOA-based integration also reduced the need for customisation on Thiess’ ERP system, resulting in lower maintenance and better return on investment.
Oracle SOA Suite 11g, Oracle JDE ERP, Weblogic Server 11g, Java technologies